Chapter 5

THERE WAS A SUMMER when my mother placed me alone, in the carriage o f a train leaving King's Cross Station for Grimsby, to stay with her Uncle Harris. She must have had an unquestioning and simple faith in English people nd it did not occur to her that anything could possibly happen to a nine year old travelling for four hours on his own. I loved the journey, the smell, the whistle and the sounds of the steam train and eventually the rural setting and the strong fragrance of the sea in this small northern fishing town. It was in such contrast with my usual home environment, that I have cherished this distinct memory all my life and whenever the opportunity has presented itself, have gone back to see Grimsby again to savour the taste of the place. The staple food was of course fish, in all its varieties. It was cheap and plentiful down at the nearby docks. Despite its almost daily prevalence, I have loved fish ever since, above all main foods. My great-uncle Harris was a tailor, who worked out of his own home. I would also stay with my mother's cousin Joe and Leah Morris, who had a very comfortable home - a large house in its own grounds, which for me was the height of affluence. He owned a confectionery factory in Redcar outside Grimsby and made the well-known British "rock", long sticks of sweet with the name of the seaside resort etched throughout its length. His brother Solly had a confectionery shop and would also maintain a stall in the market, where he would "auction" chocolates and sweets in combined "lots", an event which I loved to watch.